A person’s smile is one of the first things people notice. Over time, it is normal to experience discolouration of the teeth due to the impacts of lifestyle choices and the natural ageing process. Visiting your dentist for professional teeth whitening is a great way to safely and effectively restore a glowing smile which you can feel proud about. Whilst off the shelf whitening solutions exist, they rarely deliver on the promised results and in some cases may cause damage to the gums and teeth. In this blog post, Capital Dental Care will be highlighting some of the benefits of professional teeth whitening and the options available to choose from.
Why is Professional Teeth Whitening a Superior Choice?
According to a 2020 Australian dental Association survey, around 65% of people who had bought over the counter whitening kits were unaware of the risks of these products. Whilst many of these products are infact safe to use, some contain ingredients which can irritate the gums and potentially cause damage to the teeth. Additionally, these products typically contain only a very small amount (typically around 3%) of carbamide peroxide or hydrogen peroxide, which is insufficient for achieving effective and long-lasting results.
Visiting your dentist for professional teeth whitening is the best way of ensuring safe, fast and immediately visible results. Your dentist has a thorough understanding of your dental history and overall state of your teeth, enabling them to determine the most appropriate treatment and give you a precise indication of the results which can be achieved. Dentists use medical grade hydrogen peroxide whitening gel for in-chair treatments, which typically contains between 15-43% peroxide. You also have the option of having custom trays made by your dentist, which is a convenient at-home teeth whitening option. This method contains between 3-20% peroxide.
In accordance with Australian law and Dental Board of Australia regulations, dentists are the only professionals authorised to administer teeth whitening products containing more than 6% hydrogen peroxide. As this is the active ingredient responsible for whitening your teeth, your results will be far more effective if you opt for professional teeth whitening.
In-Chair and Take-Home Professional Teeth Whitening
Capital Dental Care offer in-chair treatments and take-home whitening kits. Both methods are very effective, however they work in different ways.
- In-Chair Teeth Whitening – The fastest way to achieve a bright, white smile. This treatment takes around one hour. A whitening gel will be applied to your teeth, which is activated using a UV light. The whitening solution penetrates the enamel to whiten teeth by up to 8 shades. You may experience some sensitivity after treatment, but this will subside within a few days.
- Take-Home Kits – This method is more gradual, taking around two weeks to achieve the desired result. Your dentist will prepare custom trays to suit your teeth and provide you with a professional grade teeth whitener. You can use your whitening kit in the comfort of your own home. Take home teeth whitening kits are ideal for people seeking a cost effective, convenient and pain free whitening solution.
Benefits of Professional Teeth Whitening
There are many great reasons to visit your dentist for teeth whitening. Everyone deserves to have a great smile that they can feel proud about, and Capital Dental Care look forward to helping you achieve just that.
Top reasons to choose professional teeth whitening include:
- Restore confidence in your smile
- Easy to maintain – additional whitening gel can be supplied for take-home kits enabling you to maintain your pearly whites all year round.
- Safe and effective
- Renewed motivation to improve oral hygiene habits and maintain your new smile
Book a Teeth Whitening Appointment at Capital Dental Care Today
Capital Dental Care are a leading St Kilda East dentist offering teeth whitening services, open 9am to 8pm, 7 days a week. If you’re looking to enjoy a whiter smile, please don’t hesitate to book an appointment today by calling 03 9533 7094. We look forward to seeing you soon.